Thursday, September 10, 2009

Two paintings since last I posted (257-261)


I started painting last Saturday and spent a decent amount of time in my new makeshift studio (the shed). It wasn't quite as hot, although it was still pretty warm in there. I have to find a fan somewhere in the attic or storage.

The first was an oil rendering of the digital file I created a couple of months ago. It is really blue and dark. I painted it over another painting and unfortunately part of that painting is showing through. It ruins the painting, but I might try to either repaint it or turn it into a abstract and paint over it again. Greg would like that.

The second is a scene that I have had in my mind for a couple of years. The Indian River Inlet in Delaware is an interesting place. It forms a venturi and the current is incredibly strong. Lisa and I went there a couple of years ago in the winter and the rushing water was cold and dark. There were people surfing at the beach and I took many pictures. This is a painting of a marker that sits on top of a rock jetty at the mouth. I hopefully captured the cold rushing water and the flashes of bright foam. I have been looking at some Winslow Homer paintings and I think that I was inspired by them for the water.

Proposals and heaped up work have resulted in 15 hour days, so no artwork right now. I will draw or paint when the pattern breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment on my work. I appreciate the feedback.