Friday, July 3, 2009

Americana Eastern Shore of Maryland Style (321)

Twice each summer a little slice of American pie is served up in St. Michaels, Maryland at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. The quaint little town is a very popular summer spot for tourists as the Town the British Forgot.

We decided at the last minute to take the 15 minute trip to enjoy the Big Band Night that happens at the beginning and end of the summer. This year, it coincides with the 4th of July weekend and the town's fireworks display. This is a popular spot and can become a nightmare to navigate.

It couldn't have been a nicer evening. We packed a picnic and some chairs. This event has gone on for many years and was one of my father's favorite events. We spent a little time remembering how much my Dad loved the swing music. A normally reserved man, he would cut loose to dance on the lawn with his "girls," including my Mom and my daughters. Dad has been gone for 11 years, but this is one of my most vivid and favorite memories of his time with my kids.

So I took some photos and hope that they convey some sense of the place and the event. I like the 4th of July for it's garish red, white, and blue party complete with overeating, excessive drinking, and explosives. Everybody lightens up. Good for us.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this and it's a nice tribute to Pa.
    Those Big Band nights are some of the best memories and strongest memories of Pa--especially him being so happy and a crazy dancer! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on my work. I appreciate the feedback.