Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Excercise in Failure (314-311)

Last night, after spending a decent amount of time painting, I decided that the piece I was working on was forced, poorly drafted, ill-conceived, and an abject failure. I turned the page and will hopefully start something new today. I am strongly considering painting over it rather than tearing it up (acrylic on watercolor paper).

I think back to a talk that one of the teachers at my daughter's college gave, where she had a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken and a bottle of Formula 409. She told the stories of how Colonel Sanders tried to sell 1000 restaurants on his recipe and the name 409 was because 1-408 failed. It's not much solice, but you can't be successful every time.

This blog was intended to stimulate my creativity and get me working on painting, drawing, and other creative endeavors. It creates a pressure that I let get to that painting. I will back off and try to start over fresh with some drawing. Hopefully today.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes is is good to step back and take some time off--even good blogs need a rest. Life already provides plenty of pressure.

    Best wishes,

    Tomasito

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on my work. I appreciate the feedback.