Monday, June 1, 2009

A Bird Came Knocking (353)

Today is perfectly beautiful outside and I am sad to be locked inside in a cubical. For the past few weeks, a little bird has greeted me at my window each morning. She seems to show up when I am looking at artwork or photographs and knocks on the window. I think she must have a nest somewhere in a bush outside my window and sees me moving as a threat. I know that is what she is really doing, but I like to think that she looks forward to seeing me like Sadie and Splinter do each day. She just wants a clearer view of the artwork or photos I am examining.

I am listening to Derek Trucks Band Already Free and it rocks. In the liner notes (do they call them that any more?), John Snyder talks about the band and how they "embody The Seven Creative Virtues." Although written for these musicians, I would like to adapt them to visual art. So here they are:

1. Personal Exploration--an ongoing search for new knowledge. Simple. Direct.

2. Community Participation and Enhancement--being a "down to earth" person having a network of like-minded and similarly-skilled friends and associates.

3. Honor your Talent--feed and care for your art by practicing and developing a better understanding of "why we create."

4. Humility--keep it real. There's always someone smarter, better, and more talented and you don't know if you are talking to them next or not.

5. Honesty in Life and Art--my mom had a mantra of "be true to yourself" that she repeated over and over to us growing up. I try to be true in my day to day life. I am trying to discover who I am truthfully as an artist.

6. Purpose Driven Life--try to have a purpose behind what you do each day. In art, have a purpose for the outcome, whatever that might be.

7. Love of Family--peace, love, and happiness. I hope for so much more for my family than I have had and that motivates me to be the best that I can be.
By the way, my little friend was sketched with a 2B pencil on white card stock. The song is Sweet Inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment on my work. I appreciate the feedback.