Friday, June 19, 2009

One from the J O B (336)

Every so often I get a chance to do something creative or artistic for my j-o-b. I needed a picture of a senior waiting and the customer wanted it to be colorful. In the "customer-art director" role, colorful attracts attention and black and white aren't colors. It is the same mentality that thinks you should make the logo bigger; bigger, bolder, underlined type can't be used enough; and a flashing magenta starburst is the key to any successful design. But I digress.

When I was a kid, there was a very successful artist that lived and worked in our town by the name of Laird Wise. He was a painter, but was better known for his photography. He also combined the skills by colorizing or painting portrait photographs. At some point in his senior life, he accidentally injured his hands. He was very skilled. I remember a friend of mine had a portrait of his uncle in his Marine dress blues that was done by Wise.


Not to compare, but I reached back into that memory and thought it would be interesting (and colorful--to attract attention) to try that approach for the picture I needed. Here is the result. I think it is kind of neat. It has an old-time appearance. Let's see what the customer thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment on my work. I appreciate the feedback.